Friday, March 15, 2013

Culture Shock - Split Pants


Hey Ya’ll, 

Culture is one of the biggest differences in moving to China. At times it can be a challenge, but if you let yourself learn to understand (or at least be aware of) differences, then it can be a fun learning experience. 

In this section of our blog, we want to share some of our stories and how we are slowly (one day at a time) learning to cope and understand.

I thought I would share one of my first interesting Chinese experiences with you. This story shares one of the vastly different parts of culture that I was not prepared for. 

Split Pants! 

An example of a Chinese split pants outfit. Can you see the slit down the center of the crotch?


Yes, you read that correctly...split pants or crack pants...there are many names foreigners have given these. 

So here is my story. 

Our very first day out and about in China we had to go to the Wuxi International Clinic to get my medical exam so I could apply for my residence permit along with Tractor Man. While we were in the waiting room there was this mother with her young son there and they were captivated with Pickle (my son). The little boy was so cute looking at him. At this point I didn’t know any Mandarin other than Ni Hao (hello), so I had no way of really talking to them. But as they turned away I saw the little boys bare bottom...I was extremely surprised by this...then his mom turned him back around to say goodbye and I noticed that the front part of him was sticking out too! I had NO idea what was going on, but I confess my first thought was that they were really poor and couldn’t afford to fix their clothes. I came really close to trying to give her an extra pair of Pickle’s pants that was in our diaper bag. Nothing in my American brain could comprehend at that sleep deprived moment any other reason for this. But I am so thankful that I didn’t! That would have been a major face losing moment for this sweet Chinese mother. 

This is the cute little boy from my story. Notice the "split" in his pants! 


Later I learned that this is their method of potty training and it begins from a very early stage in life. Also, apparently diapers were not very common here in China until the last decade, so for many families this is still a new concept and for the grandparents who are raising the kids its just a totally foreign idea. 

Life in Wuxi will present you with many opportunities to see split pants in real life. I admit, even though I have been here almost 2 years, I still get shocked at times by what I see. Probably because as an American I just can’t wrap my head around this concept. Especially in the winter when the grandma’s have their grandkids completely bundled up in massive snow suit type things, but with the slit down the crotch still. 

To better help us understand the real reason behind this and other cultural differences, I have asked my Chinese instructors to help us understand more from a local’s perspective. 

Enjoy! 

Real Culture Explanation - June from Wisdom International

 The reasons that Chinese parents let children wear split trousers (we call them “ Kai dang ku” is that they are comfortable and convenient. Comfortable meaning that the baby's buttocks do not need to be wrapped the whole day, the red spots (diaper rash) will not come out by the suffocated diaper. On the other hand, the parents don’t need to change the diaper or wash the diaper so often, the baby can squat down and have pee or stool, where it is convenient. It is also much cheaper on the economic side .


Always, 

Belle 


No comments:

Post a Comment