Friday, January 25, 2013

Home sweet....boxspring

I can recall walking into our furnished apartment for the first time. Still jet lagged from our flight two days earlier, I was in a bit of a daze, but I can recall the gut dropping feeling I had as we opened the door to our new "home". Sure, I had seen pictures of it via email, but having never been inside before, I was expecting the worst.

Instead, I was pleasantly surprised.

Everything was brand spankin new. Some of the furniture wasn't really "our" style, but at least it was new. No former tenant smells to have to stomach. We made a trip to IKEA Wuxi within our first 24 hours and purchased a baby cot, changing table and linens. Across from IKEA was a METRO superstore, so we bought pots and pans there and were also able to stock our refrigerator with many familiar goods.

We got home, assembled the baby cot so our son could sleep, then dressed our bed in the new linens we purchased.

After a long day of unloading, unwrapping and unpacking, we couldn't wait to get a good night's sleep under our new plush sheets.

...and that's when we learned the difference between a western-style mattress and a Chinese mattress.

As we climb into bed, I whisper to BG, "I think they forgot a mattress. I'm pretty sure we are sleeping on the boxspring."

BG answers, "Welcome to China."

We have lived with the boxspring-esque mattress for quite some time now, and we both have perpetually sore necks and backs. Our lease is up for renewal next month, so we have negotiated with the owner to buy us a western mattress in exchange for re-newing.

I think that's a fair trade, and am counting the days until we can sleep like babies on a nice cushiony mattress again.

-Elle Lay







No comments:

Post a Comment