Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Wuxi weather

Having been born and raised in Southern California, I admit to having been sheltered from the "real world" of seasons! For me the only difference between winter, spring, summer and fall were the holidays that occurred during them. Our family lived in shorts and flip flops year round.

When we arrived in China in June, I quickly learned what real seasons were, as the temperature continued to climb until the end of July....and the humidity...don't even get me started. I have never experienced humidity on the level that Wuxi hits each summer. 




So, if you're moving here and wondering if it gets hot, the answer is YES. Hot and Humid. The hottest most humid months are July and August. Light airy clothes and shade umbrellas are most popular during this time, but to be honest, if you're out and about during the day, you are going to want to get home to a cold shower, ASAP. 

Just when I thought I couldn't handle the heat any longer, enter September.

September, October and November are absolutely get-your-butt outside as often as possible months. The weather is gorgeous. Somewhat clear skies, light breezes and lower pollution levels make for some really nice walking weather. 

       Friends walking home from the produce market on a nice autumn day

By the end of November, the chilly mornings often linger into chilly afternoons. It was at this time that I realized, California "winter" jackets are not the same as the rest of the world's "winter" jackets. I was  wearing the warmest jacket I owned and already cold! I bought some scarves and beanies and those kept me cozy til winter officially hit in December.

December, January, February and March are cold. Like, Midwest cold. Layered clothing is your best bet as many of the malls and shops do not have/use heaters. I remember Christmas shopping at Wanda plaza last year wearing UGG boots, jeans and a huge puffy jacket and still freezing. 

I bet you're thinking..if it gets that cold...does it snow?

The answer...rarely....but, it does. 

Check out last winter. Belle and I decided to walk to the produce market. Not one of our shining moments, but I think we both look back on it and get a good laugh.

Overnight snow storm left us a winter wonderland

      Oh, Belle..what on earth are we doing?

By the beginning of April, the ultra-warm winter jackets can be packed away in exchange for a lighter jacket or fleece pullover. The days get warmer as the month goes on, and once May hits, its back outside we go. Although the spring time temperatures are much more enjoyable than winter or summer, this is when the pollution levels seem to be the highest, with a number of days reaching "severe pollution" levels. 


And hey, if this California girl can survive Wuxi's seasons, so can you...

-Elle Lay

No comments:

Post a Comment